Winter Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Dreams

Passing Day Dream

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Hello welcome to this forum
Excalibur aka Caliburn I_icon_minitimeSun 22 Nov 2009, 2:10 pm by AxlSmith

» Before you read :)
Excalibur aka Caliburn I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 3:23 pm by Alicia

» Excalibur aka Caliburn
Excalibur aka Caliburn I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 3:22 pm by Alicia

» The Round Table
Excalibur aka Caliburn I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 3:18 pm by Alicia

» About King Arthur
Excalibur aka Caliburn I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 3:15 pm by Alicia

» A place for words
Excalibur aka Caliburn I_icon_minitimeThu 22 Oct 2009, 4:21 am by Alicia

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Top posters
Alicia
Excalibur aka Caliburn I_vote_lcapExcalibur aka Caliburn I_voting_barExcalibur aka Caliburn I_vote_rcap 
Faith
Excalibur aka Caliburn I_vote_lcapExcalibur aka Caliburn I_voting_barExcalibur aka Caliburn I_vote_rcap 
fabiX
Mykl
Rikku
AxlSmith
Somatic
Speedy
Elkas
tingting

Excalibur aka Caliburn

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alicia
Ecchi Bunneh
Alicia

Female Cancer Snake
Job/hobbies : Mercenary

Class
Winter Field:

Excalibur aka Caliburn Empty
PostSubject: Excalibur aka Caliburn   Excalibur aka Caliburn I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 3:22 pm

Excalibur is the legendary sword of King Arthur, sometimes' attributed with magical powers or associated with the rightful sovereignty of Great Britain. Sometimes Excalibur and the Sword in the Stone (the proof of Arthur's lineage) are said to be the same weapon, but in most versions they are considered separate. The sword was associated with the Arthurian legend very early. In Welsh, the sword is called Caledfwlch.In Arthurian romance a number of explanations are given for Arthur's possession of Excalibur. In Robert de Boron's Merlin, Arthur obtained the throne by pulling a sword from a stone. In this account, the act could not be performed except by "the true king," meaning the divinely appointed king or true heir of Uther Pendragon. This sword is thought by many to be the famous Excalibur and the identity is made explicit in the later so-called Vulgate Merlin Continuation, part of the Lancelot-Grail cycle.[4] However, in what is sometimes called the Post-Vulgate Merlin, Excalibur was given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake sometime after he began to reign. She calls the sword "Excalibur, that is as to say as Cut-steel." In the Vulgate Mort Artu, Arthur orders Girflet to throw the sword into the enchanted lake. After two failed attempts he finally complies with the wounded king's request and a hand emerges from the lake to catch it, a tale which becomes attached to Bedivere instead in Malory and the English tradition.[5]
Malory records both versions of the legend in his Le Morte d'Arthur, and confusingly calls both swords Excalibur. The film Excalibur attempts to rectify this by having only one sword, which Arthur draws from the stone and later breaks; the Lady of the Lake then repairs it.
Back to top Go down

Excalibur aka Caliburn
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Winter Dreams :: general discussion :: Mythology :: Tale of King Arthur-
Jump to: