Winter Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Dreams

Passing Day Dream

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Hello welcome to this forum
The Round Table I_icon_minitimeSun 22 Nov 2009, 2:10 pm by AxlSmith

» Before you read :)
The Round Table I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 3:23 pm by Alicia

» Excalibur aka Caliburn
The Round Table I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 3:22 pm by Alicia

» The Round Table
The Round Table I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 3:18 pm by Alicia

» About King Arthur
The Round Table I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 3:15 pm by Alicia

» A place for words
The Round Table I_icon_minitimeThu 22 Oct 2009, 4:21 am by Alicia

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Top posters
Alicia
The Round Table I_vote_lcapThe Round Table I_voting_barThe Round Table I_vote_rcap 
Faith
The Round Table I_vote_lcapThe Round Table I_voting_barThe Round Table I_vote_rcap 
fabiX
Mykl
Rikku
AxlSmith
Somatic
Speedy
Elkas
tingting

The Round Table

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alicia
Ecchi Bunneh
Alicia

Female Cancer Snake
Job/hobbies : Mercenary

Class
Winter Field:

The Round Table Empty
PostSubject: The Round Table   The Round Table I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 3:18 pm

The Round Table first appears in Wace's Roman de Brut, a Norman language adaptation of Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia Regum Britanniae finished in 1155. Wace says Arthur created the Round Table to prevent quarrels among his barons, none of whom would accept a lower place than the others. Layamon added to the story when he adapted Wace's work into the Middle English Brut in the early 13th century, saying that the quarrel between Arthur's vassals led to violence at a Yuletide feast. In response a Cornish carpenter built an enormous but easily transportable Round Table to prevent further dispute. Wace claims he was not the source of the Round Table; both he and Layamon credit it instead to the Bretons. Some scholars have doubted this claim, while others believe it may be true. There is some similarity between the chroniclers' description of the Round Table and a custom recorded in Celtic stories, in which warriors sit in a circle around the king or lead warrior, in some cases feuding over the order of precedence as in Layamon.
Back to top Go down

The Round Table
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Winter Dreams :: general discussion :: Mythology :: Tale of King Arthur-
Jump to: